RUSU AFFILIATED CLUBS WELCOME GRANTS
RUSU is pleased to be able to offer funding to support eligible RUSU Clubs to run early Semester 1 'Welcome Events' – events with a focus on welcoming new RMIT students to the Club, University, and giving club members – new and old – an opportunity to meet and be part of their Club community.
- Face-to-face events only: on or off campus. Online events will not be funded through 2023 Welcome Grants
- Number of events: Clubs may use the Grant for more than one Welcome Event (but only one grant is available for each eligible club).
- On campus events: Academic Spaces (classrooms and lecture rooms) are generally not available for events at the start of semester. Instead, book a Venue space (manages by RMIT Venues) or “Other Space” (e.g. the Garden Building, the A ‘Beckett Urban Square, or the RUSU Activity Space) - refer to the information about booking space for on-campus activities on the "Events & Promo" page on the Club Resources page - Events On Campus>Bookings and Risk Management - scroll down to RMIT VENUE HIRE and the OTHER RMIT AND COMMUNITY SPACES sections for info.
- Risk Management approval: events must gain risk management approval before RUSU can approve or process a Welcome Grant application or payment. Link to the Event Risk Assessment application: ??
- High risk events: events open to people who are under 18 years of age (minors) will be considered a high risk event and require additional risk management activity. Events involving alcohol must not be open to under 18s.
- On Campus events and alcohol: will require the club to book and pay for RMIT Security to attend – minimum of $150 per guard for 3 hours. Welcome Grant funds may not be used for on campus alcohol costs.
- Timelines 1: Event delivery: Funded events must be delivered between 13 February and 2nd April 2023 – Applications close March 19.
- Timelines 2: Grant and event risk management applications: any application received less than 2 weeks before the scheduled event will not be accepted. You must reschedule and re-apply at least two weeks before your event. Risk management applications must also be submitted at least 2 weeks before the event.
- Timelines 3: Acquittal Requirements: Clubs that receive this Grant MUST submit an Acquittal Report within 2 weeks of their funded event/s. The link to the online form for the Report will be provided to you when funding is approved and will also be available in the Grants and Finances Section of Clubs Resources on the RUSU website.
- Amounts: Grant amounts will be determined by Club’s 2022 registered Club size with Large or Very Large clubs eligible for up to $500 each and, Small or Medium-sized clubs for up to $300 each. Funding is limited and available on a “first in best dressed” situation.
- Payments: Grants shall be paid in advance of the events where possible (where the event risk management is approved) Otherwise, they will be paid by reimbursement upon receipt of the club’s Acquittal Report (which must be submitted no later than 2 weeks after the funded event). Where paid in advance, any clubs that does not spend at least 80% of its Welcome Grant shall have a comparable amount deducted from future 2023 RUSU Club grant entitlements.
WELCOME GRANT ELIGIBILITY
A: Full Affiliation: Calendar Year Clubs must have completed their 2023 re-affiliation which includes submission of the following documentation/info to the RUSU Clubs Department:
- Complete and accurate 2022 AGM/IGM/SGM docs (as applicable).
- Completed 2023 Club General Details Form.
- Completed 2023 Club Leader Details Form for every elected Executive.
B: Submission of 2022 Welcome Grant Acquittal Report (if the club received 2022 Grant)
GRANT ASSESSMENT CRITERIA:
Note: The criteria below are in addition to submission of the correctly completed application form (and the forms inbuilt Agreements).
- The usual size of the club.
- Estimated attendance data (number of total attendees and how that breaks down into RMIT students and new RMIT students).
- The budget for the event.
- What the Club intends to use the grant money for.
- Value for money (in comparison to similar events, known cost of items etc).
- Risk management approval.
- If Acquittal Report was submitted in 2022 (if applicable)
- Funded events must be delivered between 13th February – 2nd April 2023 (Application form closes on March 19th)
CONDITIONS FOR THE GRANT:
- EVENT RISK MANAGEMENT APPROVAL: Clubs must apply for and gain event risk management approval for the grant to be finalised
- PRIZES: If this grant is to fund prizes at a Welcome Event, Members of Club Boards of Management/Executive are not permitted to accept any of the prizes.
- ALCOHOL: This grant may only be used for alcohol costs where the alcohol is purchased at and consumed in a commercial venue in accordance with responsible service of alcohol laws.
- ACQUITTAL REPORT REQUIREMENT: All Clubs receiving this grant must provide a simple Grant Acquittal Report within 2 weeks of their event/s. This Report requires each Club to provide evidence of its' spending for the funded event. A Template is provided for the report.
- LEFTOVER GRANT FUNDS: Any club that has not spend at least 80% of its Welcome Grant shall have a comparable amount deducted from future 2023 RUSU Club grant entitlements.
- FAILURE TO SUBMIT ACQUITTAL REPORT: Any club failing to provide an Acquittal Report will have the full amount of Welcome Grant received deducted from future 2023 Core Grants (AAG or APR) and will not be eligible again for a Welcome Grant until 2025.
- MISUSE OF FUNDING: Clubs that misuse this funding will not receive any other Clubs funding in 2023 and will not be eligible again for a Welcome Grant until 2025. Misuse may include providing false information in the application (including budget information), using funding received for unrelated events or purposes, using funding for prohibited items (i.e. for alcohol on campus or where U18s are attending).
TO APPLY FOR THE WELCOME GRANT YOU WILL NEED:
- Full event details (date/time/location/estimated attendance number etc)
- A PDF copy of the approved budget for your event (as approved by your Club’s Executive/Board).
Complete and submit the Welcome Grant Application Form
Complete and submit your Event Risk Management application too (if you haven’t already)